Comcast offers Cable TV and Internet service

G+_Rud Dog

Comcast offers Cable TV and Internet service. Both signals are carried by one cable. If I decided to discontinue Cable TV service and kept Internet service could the Internet service and OTA antenna signal coexist on the same cable?

This would allow the connection of an OTA antenna at the entry point of the home. Also, would my signal from my OTA antenna back feed onto the cable outward bound?

It all depends on what channels you receive (which frequencies), and what frequencies your cable company uses for their modems.

It they are not overlapping, you could use a diplexer or combiner to do what you propose.

The problem is the frequency range both of those use are the same range, so it is probable they would interfere with each other.

As others mentioned, not a very viable solution.

Last time I checked you could still access local channels from the comcast line anyways. I believe there's some FCC requirement about required open broadcast for local channels - though don't quote me on that. In any event, easy enough to plug coax directly into a tv and try it out, would be less frustrating than trying to deal with an antenna constantly.

I was able to successfully do what you are trying to do, but the folks above are correct. You can't run them on the same cable.

All of my CATV lines went down to a central location in my basement to an amplifier. I disconnected the feed from the cable company (Cox in my case) from the amplifier and connected that line straight to the Modem.

Then I put up an indoor OTA antenna near the primary TV and connected it to the feed end of a splitter. One output from the splitter went to that TV and the other connected to the line that went into the wall and back down to the basement. This line then became the feed for the amp and provided the OTA signal to the rest of the outlets through the house.