Got an email yesterday from Apple support informing me I had made a purchase for a game

G+_Rud Dog

ApplesupportFakeOrReal.png

Got an email yesterday from Apple support informing me I had made a purchase for a game. Now I know I didn't but thought I would share a picture of the email with the community just in case this is the beginning of some sort of scam.

Rickbearcat if the recipient has an old outdated PDF viewer then JavaScript embedded in the PDF could be run without asking permission and infect the recipients PC with malware.

It's similar with Word documents, old versions of Word could run VBA code without asking delivering the infection.

Yes they can be opened and forensically examined safely in a safe environment.

This type of phishing scam against Apple users has been going on at least since 2015. Apple support has a page about them that includes an address for submitting the email to them for analysis.

support.apple.com - Identify legitimate emails from the App Store or iTunes Store

Rickbearcat I didn't want to open either one based on the bait it appeared to be. I don't have any setups for testing the attachments and would also like to know if they are problematic. Maybe I can scan them but then how do you scan an attachment?

Akira Yamanita Saving the attachments to my computer is not an option which is in line with not wanting to open them either. Posting them here was more a share-with-community kind of thing. The response was great and interesting from all.