You know how everyone 's making a big deal about apple negotiating content deals with TV Channel...

G+_Roland Jay Roberts

You know how everyone's making a big deal about apple negotiating content deals with TV Channels for the Apple TV.  Does it really matter if Apple doesn't get the content deals?  Surely all it needs to do is release apps for the Apple TV to outside developers?  It worked for the iPad and the iPhone, TV channels have their own on demand apps in the app store and if they don't they get a lot of grief from the public.  Obviously Apple then doesn't get it's cut of revenue but ultimately apps on the Apple TV would blow away the competition. 

It doesn't need content deals if the TV networks and businesses are building their own apps. That way the TV networks can work out their own policies. We're lucky in the UK having the BBC iPlayer who were very early to both the web streaming and mobile app market. All other TV channels followed suit. Now I watch my television via those apps and not via the iTunes Store on iPad and iPhone. Why not the same on Apple TV? Probably because Apple wants to take a cut of advertising revenue. Just my best guess.

Agreed, an app store, siri (via remote or ios device) and maybe a bluetooth game controller would give Xbox and Ps3 some serious competition on the big screen. It would be well capable of doing some decent games too (not to Xbox standard right now). I reckon the next Apple TV will probably have some storage options to allow these apps, in fact I'm surprised we're still waiting for these features