In plain old 'C ' - a structure is a way to group together a set of data that are to be used t...

G+_mike klaene

In plain old 'C' - a structure is a way to group together a set of data that are to be used together.  A good example is the 'FILE' structure that is defined in the stdio.h file. The FILE structure contains all of the values that are needed by the standard I/O functions to manage all of the file operations for you.

In languages that support classes, the basic 'C' type structure concept is expanded such that one or more of the data values in the structure can be defined as private. Also a class may include the specific functions, called 'methods', for acting upon the class.

Both 'C' and OOP languages have their uses - they are just tools. You, as the programmer, should selected the best tool for the task at hand.

Fr. Robert Ballecer, SJ Yes Father, I do.  To me, C is the perfect high level language.  I have taught C++ an an adjunct at both Cabrini College and Delaware County Community College here near Philly.  My preference would be to start with a combined architecture/assembler class with which to build a solid foundation.  Unfortunately the goal was coding not understanding.