Edit: thanks for everyone who responded!

G+_Donald Burr

Edit: thanks for everyone who responded! I actually ended up finding an answer independently. The SMD5630 is a LED strip that runs directly off 12v (so I can hook it directly to my printer's power supply, no need for a voltage converter) and is a "dumb" LED (it only has connections for +12V and ground, no need for an Arduino or anything to control it. Works like a charm. Now my 3D print time-lapse videos are actually watchable ;-)

So I have an unusual situation. I just got a 3D printer for Christmas (so far I am loving it!) and I hooked it up to a Raspberry Pi running OctoPrint so that I can manage the printer and run print jobs without having to physically stick a SD card in it. And since my Pi has a camera, I can also create time-lapse videos of my prints. The problem is that the videos come out a bit dark, because the lighting in my work area isn't the greatest. So I was thinking of installing some LED strip lighting on the printer. The problem with that is the printer's control board doesn't have any spare I/O so I can't use WS2812's. I suppose I could stick an Arduino Nano or something like that on there whose sole purpose in life is to configure a strip of WS2812's, but that seems a bit overkill. Basically what I'm looking for is a "dumb" version of LED strip lights like the WS2812's. All I care about is that they turn on when power is applied. I don't care about changing color or brightness or anything like that. Preferably they should accept 12v since that is what the printer's power supply outputs, but if necessary I'll stick a voltage converter in there. Does such a beast exist?

Search Amazon, Banggood or AliExpress for "12v LED strip" - there are many items that vary by color produced (usually you want "white" or "warm white" depending on your preference) and use either 3528 or 5050 size LEDs. Get a meter of them and you can snip off the excess if needed (often in groups of 3 lamps). These strips only require +12v and Ground connections, and brightness is controlled by reducing the +12v line.

Essentially, this is what is used for under cabinet lighting, vehicle/boat lighting, etc.

Alternatively, you can get the 5v versions of these strips and power it from a cell phone charger plugged into the wall.

Also, search Thingiverse.com for many 3D printer lighting ideas.

Bob from above is correct but there is an update/new version of 12VDC LED strips. The new 2835 LEDs (yes just reverse of the 3528) are newer and a bit better. The are 2-3 times more light for the same power input and they have a better CRI (Color Rendering Index), and lastly they dissipate heat better which might equate to longer life. I have some of both and my brother has used 5050s. I agree with the info from this web site.

ledtuning.nl - What's the difference between the 3528 and the 2835 LED-strip

Here is the search for 2835 on Amazon, really cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=2835+led+strip

If you want a nice little channel to put your LED strips in we used these at my place and my mothers. They diffuse the light and reduce shadowing as opposed to not using them.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=led+strip+lights+track&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aled+strip+lights+track

Thanks

Brent