One of Padre 's Travel episodes he mentioned if you are headed overseas just pickup a SIM card l...

G+_Jim Hofmann

One of Padre's Travel episodes he mentioned if you are headed overseas just pickup a SIM card locally. Well, I'm headed to Austrailia for 4 weeks. First time of of states. However, I was watching Leo on NSS and he mentioned that if you do that you need to contact your carrier and get it unlocked.

My question is what's your recommendations? Any how-to sites?

Thanks

Yes, you need an unlocked phone to do that. If you have the phone paid off, or purchased it outright, you shouldn't have any issues getting your carrier to unlock it (it becomes a legal issue for them if they refuse to unlock a phone owned by you.)

Being with Ting, I haven't had to worry about this for around 7 years now.

Hello Jim, I use a google fi phone. Over the last few years, I have taken it to Korea, China, Japan, and Taiwan without any problems. Its a Motorola Moto x4. I got it for cheap at the google fi site fi.google.com. If you are going to buy an unlocked phone anyway just get one of the android one phones from google fi.

Once you have the google fi plan and phone you can get extra data only SIM cards that will work in other compatible devices. I use the original sim (phone+data) in my iPhone and the data only sims in two android phones for the kids. One of which is the google fi moto x4.

The cost is ~$30 for the phone and the data maxes out at $60 ($10 per GB). And all the cards are linked so data is shared for phones on the same account. It is also truly unlimited. I once used over 80 Gb and only paid ~$90. My kids love youtube. We were traveling in Japan by car for about two weeks on a low-cost vacation.