I have a network that I frequently connect to that I typically use my personal openvpn to connect...

G+_Derek Holmes

I have a network that I frequently connect to that I typically use my personal openvpn to connect to. They recently changed the settings to where it now blocks most VPN services. Although I found some work if I set to Port 443 and TCP. So I wanted to change my openvpn to use port 443 TCP....

But whenever I change the port to 443 or even port 80 it will not connect no matter what network I'm on on even if I'm just on cellular Networks.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be preventing me from setting my personal VPN to 443? I've tried other random ports and they seem to work fine but the primary ports used for network communication will not work. If it makes any difference I am running my openvpn through my Netgear router. I have an ass that I could use to run the VPN but I prefer to not open any ports.

Hi Derek Holmes I was reading a Netgear support forum and someone mentioned they had to disable USB storage in advanced settings. The router was listening on 443/tcp If it is already listening on that port you can't use it for openvpn. Not sure if you can run netstat commands on Netgear to see if something is already listening on 443/tcp.

I would run a shields up scan from grc.com to see if anything is listening first. A tcpdump on the router could help you determine if packets are getting to your router or if the ISP is blocking the ports. But I don't think you will have shell access.

I would try port forwarding 443 to your laptop to test access and to be able to run tcpdump and other commands. Open the port using iperf, netcat, ssh or some other tool.

grc.com - Home of Gibson Research Corporation