I need help with a temporary internet issue

G+_James Scouten

I need help with a temporary internet issue. The Ham radio club I am a member of is wanting internet in a building that doesn't have any and any solutions from the local telco and cable company are a no go. The group we are renting the building from has a RV park near there that can be picked up with a cell phone but not inside the building. I have borrowed a Nanostation M2(as 2.4ghz connection is all that's available). What I planned on doing was using the Nanostation outside and running a ethernet cable inside to another router to server the inside of the building. Is there another or better way to do what I am trying to do and what settings would I use on the Nanostation?

Since you are a Ham Club, you should have enough knowledge within to get this done very easily. I bet you'll have it working on the first attempt. -70dB is enough to maintain decent link quality.

I use a NanoLocoM2 for connecting to campground/park wifi and it works very well. Sometimes the wifi is only "in" the office/lounge at the other end of the campground/park and most will have to go without; with ubnt gear, I'm not going without.

Oh, and all you need is download the user manual for the nanostation. They have pretty good instructions for different setups. IIRC, what you're doing is called Station Mode

BTW... I found this doc on ubnt.com. It appears to have been made by a sailor using nanostation to connect to shore wifi when at port. Same concepts apply for your use....

https://dl.ubnt.com/docs/M_Series_Beginner_Guide.pdf

-1 for "WiFi Ranger" and similar. They are probably a worse value than collectables. I have at most $100 in my Nanostation Loco M2 and airGateway LR. The commercial solutions range from "pre-configured" kits for about $150, to all-in-one devices for $450 or more.

For my money I'd rather get my geek on and configure a pair of devices myself.

James Scouten You haven't mentioned where you are. Perhaps there's a Ham or techie near you who's done such a thing and would be happy to assist over a few cold ones.