This is an issue that might have been addressed in prior KnowHow episodes, but I need a refresher

G+_Joel G. J

This is an issue that might have been addressed in prior KnowHow episodes, but I need a refresher.

Would the best case for this setup be a VLan or is there an alternative?

I am getting a new router and I want to mitigate slowdowns on devices that are connected to the wireless {Media devices such as Chromecast, Streaming devices & Smart TVs}. I also want to allow temporary guest access to these devices. What is the best route forward.

Also want some general tips on what space should I reserve for static IP addresses. Our house does not have Ethernet, so most of the media devices are connected via WiFi.

Vlans provide for a way to split-up your lan. The use of a vlan will allow you to reduce traffic within the network segment but at the same time it creates separation ... only devices in the same segment can freely communicate, the other traffic needs to be routed. You need to decide which you prefer.

Usually Chromecast traffic is restricted to one (v)lan but you can setup your router to forward the traffic to other segments. This allows you to define firewall rules to specify which device has access to the Chromecast

Frankly, wireless VLANs make no sense for security. Wireless security depends on WPA2 (which is a whole other topic in itself.)

If the goal is to put devices on different networks, then that is what a VLAN is for.

With a wireless receiver, I can look at everything being transmitted. Which is why any security starts and stops with encryption.