Some ideas for break episodes:

G+_Matthew Reardon

Some ideas for break episodes:

How github works/what it is for. Possible know how crossover. I was copy and pasting from coding101 posts for previous modules. Have not had time to investigate thoroughly.

Collections: What are they used for, with examples. What purpose do they serve in overall program design. Dictionary and hashes appear to be same thing. How are they used?

Just some random ideas.

Matt

I think they are going to do task-oriented episodes (i.e. "Here's a program that does X".) instead of topical ones (i.e. "Here's how to use a collection."). Either way is fine for learning as long as things like collections are used and explained. More importantly, if they still want to reach beginners they need to cover the design process: 1. Program requirements list, 2. A sketch of the logic written in plain English, 3. Actual code. This was lacking in the Smitty episodes where he just went over code he had already written. 

Darryl, do you want to see more code written in front of you? Sometimes I feel watching someone code is a tough practice when learning. It feels better when someone goes over their existing code and describes why they made certain decisions and used specific patterns. What are your thoughts?

Hey Lou! I agree that watching someone type code is too boring if it's anything more than just a few lines. What I'm suggesting is a presentation that better reflects the real-world coding process. When you and I write a program we first figure out the logic, either in our heads or on paper, and then write the code. When you just explain code that's already written, you're kind of doing things backwards. I feel beginners would benefit from seeing how decisions and design patterns then lead to the structure and creation of the code. I'm thinking it would be good to show the creation of a program in a similar fashion to how Padre shows how to build things in Know How.

• 2 weeks later...

Nathan Follmer  has got it.  I can look up the different collection types on internet.  I find it valuable why a specific way of doing things was choosen.  For example although I didn't follow all the details of the apps Louis Maresca made, seeing how he set things in terms of design was valuable.