Hey KITAs I 'm in need of an IOT solution for my apartment If it has to be DIY, I 'm up for ...

G+_T Burns

Hey KITAs. I'm in need of an IOT solution for my apartment. If it has to be DIY, I'm up for it, but I need help brainstorming.

I am in an upstairs apartment with a downstairs entry. The doorbell is literally ON the door with a built-in peephole so I can't simply put a Ring Video doorbell there. I'm looking for a way to put a camera at the door but I can't add anything to the exterior and there is no power available (not even a light in the ceiling just inside the door). There is a glass storm door as well but not a lot of space between that and the main door. I'm specifically looking for RVD functionality since we have to go all the way down the stairs to even see out the peephole and often we can't even hear someone knock or ring the existing on-door doorbell. I have even startled my wife a couple of times because she didn't hear me come in.

I'm also not looking for a messy, wires-everywhere solution. If there is a ready-made product out there, I'm interested to investigate it. But if it requires a DIY touch, I'm not afraid of that either. Just remember, I don't OWN the apartment.

Is there such a thing as a camera that you can put on the peephole to look through it and record?

I have a similar situation, in that I have a glass storm door in front of the entry door. I've considered a Ring, but not sure if attaching with 3M tape or similar is going to be problematic.

There are other wireless front door cameras, such as the Edimax peephole camera which mounts, you guessed it, through the peephole in your door.

As far as renting goes, some owners are skittish, but you have every right to utilize the space how you see fit. If the door needs another peephole for the vertically challenged spouse or kids, you put one in. In most places this doesn't constitute damage or modification of the property and so the owner can't substantiate a claim against you for it. I'd look at accomodating a security camera in the same way.

I've never asked permission to do things to rentals. I also don't consider any restrictions (stated, written, or otherwise) to be a legitimate impediment to my enjoyment and use of the rented property as I see fit. If you're a good renter and always on-time with payments, the owner/landlord will likely not take any issue with anything that is an actual improvement or that is easily totally removable/reversible by you before you move out.

The last rental we were in before we bought was a duplex with attic access to the north wall of the upstairs. I ran ethernet from upstairs to downstairs, ran cabling outdoors for a DC-only solar project, and built in a very sturdy, high-mounted shelf on three walls in the garage. The only thing I removed before vacating was the solar wiring and the cemented-in post for the solar mount in the backyard. The owner was appreciative that I left the other improvements in place. I could easily have removed everything and filled in the screw holes in the drywall, but that would've been a terrible waste of a fine garage shelf.

Video without power sounds like the hardest part. Video transmission will drain batteries fast. You can charge up some versions of the Ring, but I’d imagine you’d be charging it often.

Is there a porch light that you could replace with something like the Ring spotlight camera? Use motion detection in tandem with existing doorbell?

I don't have a Ring, but I think they claimed a few months on a charge. Not all versions can be completely wireless though.

Although I wouldn't recommend it for most people, the Arlo cameras may be a good option for you. We bought a set of the Arlo Wire-Free when we moved to this house and the work OK - not great. Arlo Pro should be better, but more expensive too. No monthly fee unless you want footage stored for longer than a week. Motion detection isn't great and a car driving by will be out of frame before the camera starts recording. The cameras are completely wireless and mount to either a ¼" bolt or magnet to the included brackets. They use Wi-Fi, but only connect to the Arlo base station and won't connect to your network. So far the 4 x CR123a batteries have lasted about 4 months.

Ben Reese I have used 123A batteries for years, and hated them for their price the whole time. For everything we can, we've switched to rechargeables. I have, but haven't yet installed, a set of five Amazon Blink cameras. They use AA batteries; though Lithium batteries are recommended, I'll be using rechargeables in them if it's practical.

Parts list:

Ring Video door bell, USB cable and mounting bracket included.

2 2 amp chargers.

Double sided sticky tape.

Optional items: see Wife factor section below.

Instructions:

Ring Video door bell mounted by using double sided sticky tape to the Ring's mounting bracket right where the USB charger plug matches the removed peep hole. Have a mount for one 2 amp charger battery, you can switch them out to charge them, and you have a minimal hassle solution. Oh, and for the DIY part: shave the micro USB end of the cable that connects from the Ring to the charger battery so that it fits through the peep hole. Mine is orange.

Wife factor:

1. You can always splurge and get the color USB cable your wife prefers.

2. Have wife go on Etsy and find a cute and correctly sized cloth bag she likes, to hang the charger in. Women do like to hide something awesome in something cute or beautiful.