Hey guys, new project with a quick question

G+_K Branch jr

I’ve done exactly the same. Mine was in a Dell Inspiron with a Centrino Duo with 2Gb ram. Running Ubuntu Mate. Fast boot <1min and fairly snappy for such and underpowered machine. It is my daily away from home driver, word processing, spreadsheet plus Netflix and remote Plex client, and night it does double duty as my OpenKJ Karaoke machine, running 2 displays and sound. I have a second identical machine with an original spinning drive and it is almost unusable.

I've never had issues with an SSD working out of the box - though your mileage may vary. I've put them in old (8+ years) laptops and desktops and everything just works.

I think Giligain I. was just referring to changing boot order to run the Live USB stick. Most older machines have an option at boot (F10? F12? ESC?) to choose a boot device. If you're just using USB for the initial install, is usually a good idea to switch it back.

Giligain I. Which settings did you change? When I set up my Linux server. I can not remember how I got it to boot from the thumb drive. But the Bios ( need to update) Did not have that option

Side note ; these computer are just setting around. The Bios are outdated .. I just may change out the hold motherboard.

Thanks

K Branch jr

This was a new computer using Dell bios dated 2015. The tabs at top where easy: boot.

From there it can get detailed, which I started down, but then thought this should be easy and backtracked steps to not pick a specific file, but instead to [enable] Load Legacy Option Rom.

I probably could have tried the file picking, but unsure if bootx64.efi or grubx64.efi were right or which needed.

After choice made to [enable] and exiting bios, the computer prompted with startup choices using the GNU GRUB ...Ubuntu based program.

If the computer is old enough, I would make a CD or DVD boot loader instead as these older computers always default to these for booting without problems and before HD started using UEFI.

• 3 weeks later...