Hey guys, I 'm a newbie using these prototype pcb boards

G+_Jason Brown

pcb.jpg

Hey guys, I'm a newbie using these prototype pcb boards. Maybe I'm using this type of board wrong. I've seen guys online run traces by bridging the holes with solder. Every time I add more solder it just wicks up to the hole and makes a bubble, and never wants to merge with the hole next to it. with this type of board is my only option to string bare wire across? I haven't found a good YouTube video showing how to do this with this style. I practiced on the attached board picture with not much luck. Any direction would be great. Thanks.

I've occasionally used the drag method in the 45 years I've used copper clad protoboards. Generally I prefer to use small gauge bare solid wire (26 to 20 AWG) instead. I tack the wire to all the pads along its length to keep it from moving. I also will use any through hole component leads to bridge pads saving on the cost of additional bare wire.

For me the key to getting the solder bridge method to work is to use huge amounts of lead based solder. Lead based flows much nicer and the huge quantity enables the bridging between pads. All too often some of the bridges open up as I move along or I get stray bridges which is why I usually just use wire or component leads to reduce re-work.