So, I 've been working my 3D printer enclosure for my Prusa i3 MK3

G+_Jeff Gros

IMG_1703.jpg

So, I've been working my 3D printer enclosure for my Prusa i3 MK3.

Below is a link to the basic idea, although mine is a bit different. I'll list differences once I "finish" it.

https://www.prusaprinters.org/cheap-simple-3d-printer-enclosure/

After a few trips to and from work to use the drill press on the polycarbonate, I realized that I didn't print enough of the filament feeders printed, so I printed more in Hatchbox PETG. A 3 hour print. No big deal.

While printing I kept on noticing that the Prusa collision detection was kicking in. This happens sometimes with PLA if I've got steep angles that cause drooping (a design problem), or with materials that warp such as ABS or PETG (a temperature stability problem).

Collision detection means that the head has to re-home, and then continue printing. A nice feature, but this makes my print take longer. I was in a hurry (a bad sign!). I figured, what the heck, the MK2 didn't have collision detection and everything was fine. Just force your way through damnit! :)

No. Bad idea. Collision Detection prevents layer shift. Which you can see below. The lesson is, if you've got a Prusa, keep that Collision Detection on!

I printed again with Collision detection turned on and the print finished with no issues (not pictured).

Rud Dog, this isn't normally a problem with PLA, but once you graduate to different materials you will have to deal with warping, so I thought it worth bringing up.