All About Android episode 365! Place a vote why don 't ya

I just used Torque Pro to log a 2300 mile road trip. At any point along the way I can find my speed, engine RPM, transmission temp and gear, fuel used, immediate and average gas mileage, ambiant air temp, and so much more. At the same time, it logs GPS data from my phone so I can see exact coordinates and altitude as we drove through the smokey mountains.

I believe it also does periodic checks to the "check engine light" logs to make sure there's no pending problems about to surprise you in the next 100 miles.

(sorry, haven't listened to the latest episode, so don't know how much of this was mentioned on the show.)

As a ASE Mechanic and Instructor of Automotive, I have been using Torque since the Beginning of 2010 beginning with the Original Motorola Droid. A good app the has become great thanks to its developer. The app can be used for so many things as some listed above.

My primary use is for Automotive diagnostics and repair. Though it is not as capable compared to multi thousand dollar scan tools. It holds its own when compared to the sub $1k price point. I have used this as my primary scan tool for the past 8 years due to its compact nature (on my phone and a pocketable dongle) and its extended "Share" capability offered by Android. Documenting the process of diagnosing and repair has never been easier.

I have tested most of the cheap OBD II Bluetooth adapters. By far the generic Chinesium ELM327 Bluetooth dongle with the Blue and Orange Label has been the best. Most reliable, never a bad unit. I can't say that for the others. I have purchased close to 20 of these units to have extras and give to friends, family, colleagues and students.

Example

https://m.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-Bluetooth-Interface-OBD2-Auto-Scanner-Adapter-Tool-For-TORQUE-ANDROID/231500402852?epid=1390548526&hash=item35e67fd0a4:g:MusAAOSwD99aysga

It's been a while since all 3 apps are good. I don't usually vote for apps that require additional hardware, but I use the Torque app. It's fun to have a Tach for my Prius, and see the engine temp, but the best use of Torque is getting the codes immediately when your engine light comes on .. because you know that engine light is going to be off when you bring it in for service.