Hello! I have a question about setting my network I have an inexpensive 24port switch and 2 r...

G+_Luis McDougall

Hello!

I have a question about setting my network. I have an inexpensive 24port switch and 2 routers on of the routers is the one giving me the outside connection the other one is free for me to do whatever is needed. I wold like to have a network that gets the ip from one router(internet access lest call this network N1) and another network that get the ip from the other one(N2). I want N1 not to see N2 but I want N1 and N2 to have internet access. Is this posible with the equipment I have. (N1 router Asus RT-AC88U, N2 Netgear 6250, Switch JGS524PE) I think it is possible but do not know how.

Thanks in advance.

-Luis

Yes, if you plug the WAN port of the N2 router into the N1 router the firewall of N2 will prevent traffic between devices on the two networks. You will need to make sure that N1 & N2 use different IP ranges.

I just set up a test network for developing some IoT products this way a couple weeks ago. N1 uses 192.168.1.X for it's LAN and N2 uses 192.168.2.X and both networks can access the Internet.

Then to break the security a little making it easier for development, I wired a RasPi 3B to N1 and set its Wi-Fi to use N2. So the Pi resides on both networks letting me more easily move the development code from my NAS on N1 over to IoT prototypes on N2.