So I had an idea for what I think might be kind of a fun experiment

G+_John D. Hawkins

So I had an idea for what I think might be kind of a fun experiment.

A while back I got a Pi that I had set up for my kids to use for school work. In the end it ended up being more trouble than it was worth as I was the only one that had any interest in trying to figure out how to use Linux. So now that we’ve decided to give them a full on desktop. I’m thinking that I have a an old server out on my workbench from a store that I did some work in one time. It’s pretty old but it’s got a pair of 60 gig SCSI drives in it running RAID 1 on Fedora. I never looked into getting a Linux compatible wireless NIC for it so it’s always just sat out there.

I am wondering if it would be possible to connect the Pi to the server via it’s ethernet port then use the wireless from the pie to set it up as a media server. What do you guys think?

I set up a picture as a server on a wired network. You should be able to do the same by connecting witless. I have a pi3 and on initial boot up you have a choice of connecting to the network by either wired or wireless. I would suggest using a static ip address ratchet than a dynamic address. If you use a dynamic address can change. Could make the server hard to

I did a search and found the stuff to use it as an AP. I just need to figure out how to get the server which isn’t wireless to use the Pi as a bridge. It’ll be a bit before I can work on this but I knew you guys would point me in the right direction. It’ll all be on the WLAN too so security won’t be as big of an issue.

There are a couple ways to setup the Pi as a an AP. Many of the tutorials I've seen use DHCPD to make the Pi a DHCP server for connected wireless clients. You probably don't want that. All put the wireless into host mode so it can broadcast and host an AP. You also probably don't want that. By connecting the wireless then bridging the networks, it should pass DHCP requests through and make the server appear on your main network.

On the other hand, a Linux-compatible wireless dongle is $15 and easy to setup. You may just find that's a better route.