Hey guys, having an issue sourcing a battery

G+_Jason Brown

Hey guys, having an issue sourcing a battery. I don't know anything about batteries and I really don't want to fry my mowing headphones. Google, Batteries Plus, and the user manual are no help. I have these Safety Works headphones from Lowes. All I want is a rechargeable battery that will uses the jack in the battery port. Does anyone else have a set like these? I'd be eternally grateful for a direct Amazon/Ebay link.

IMG_20180816_18564925257E2-4.jpgIMG_20180816_184735-4.jpgIMG_20180816_184705-4.jpg

Jason Brown

I would seriously doubt that the 3-pin connector is for a rechargeable battery (otherwise the manual/site would list a P/N for it or at least mention supported batteries, other than AAA's).

I would suspect that terminal is for factory use (for testing/debugging/firmware update/etc).

Now, if you want an all-in-one battery, you could source a rechargeable power pack that would replace the 3 AAA batteries (4.5 Volts) and wire it up to the battery + and - terminals.....but you will want to stick with something that matches the battery chemistry of the AAA's (using different battery chemistries would require changing the charging circuit used).

But it would be better to do as Allen Robberson said....you should use 3 AAA rechargeable batteries (and those will be recharged via the usb charger port).

If, however, the rechargeable batteries are not being charged......then the headphones might be defective and you would need to contact Lowes and/or Saftey Works for a replacement/help.

Judging by the fact that the instructions don't even mention the micro-USB charging port that is clearly visible in the picture, I'd say they changed their mind and removed that feature from the shipping product.

It could be they had technical problems getting it working, or maybe they where worried about liability for a LiPO fire on your head while you can't hear the spouse yelling that your headphones are on fire :-).

So I guess your only rechargeable option is NiMH AAA's and an external charger.

I'd probably just use standard rechargeable AAA batteries. They're about $1 ea for Amazon Basics. Probably won't last as long as Alkaline, but they'd pay for themselves over time.

If you want to rig up a lithium ion, you should easily get by with a 4.2v cell. Just doesn't seem worth the effort to me.