Hi, my name is Jason

G+_Jason Brown

I mean, they are cost prohibitive, don't get me wrong. And if you just want backups, a simple NAS might be fine. But this goes so far beyond a simple NAS. This thing is a server. I can't wait to test out virtualization, so I don't have to buy a new Pi every time I want to test some scripts.

Something I don't like about synology. No linux package manager. This means you cannot easily install new software except through their app store.

I had a hell of a time setting up my corporate git server. Support walked me through it though. Turns out its simple as long as you don't try to help too much through the command line.

Jeff Gros the synology NASes and kin are specialized NASes. They aren't generic servers and shouldn't be treated as such. The reason synology only offically supports apps apart of their store is because they want applications that are tested on their distro.

Ben Tyger Well, I know that now. But I didn't see anything to that effect on their website at the time. Back then, I figured, what's the big deal? It's a linux machine. I can do anything I want. Three grand later worth of equipment and...oops! Sorted it out, but it took some effort for sure.