Us VS Apple

G+_Matt Beacher

Us VS. Apple

On All About Android  091 Gina Trapani Jason Howell and Ron Richards  talked about the Us VS. Them mentality that is Android's anti-apple sentiment   I just wanted to take a moment and say I don't hate Apple because they aren't us. 

No, I have a beef that, in my experience, Apple software sucks.  Over two decades I have seen only a single apple product that I felt was truly reliable.  My Windows PCs have been reliable to the point of only being rebooted for updates.  And I have owned MP3 players that have never crashed.

The only Apple product I have used in my life that has not crashed on me was an Apple IIe.  Worst offenders of Apple include a 27" iMac the sad mac'ed lest then 30 minutes out of the box, and the plethora of crashing iPods.  An iPod does one thing, play music. Note to any Apple engineers that may read this in the future.  If your device only plays music, IT SHOULD NEVER CRASH!  (Anyone want to root a 5th gen iPod Nano?)  I have never seen an MP3 play or application before or since that would choke and die like this.  Even Winamp3 never had problems like this with my MP3 collection (though it was kind of slow).

So,  what is your reason?  Do you have a reason?  Dose anyone else see Apple software as being as bad as I do?  (Forget about iTunes.  That horse is already dead.)  Am I just that unlucky?

P.S. There was a time when over 5 years I RMAed 15 HDD.  Yes I am the reason your HDD warranty is for one year,

#android #apple #aaa   #allaboutandroi   #twit   #notthatimbitter

The Apple IIe was a great computer. Spent most of my public schooling on Apple computers. But yeah, I have absolutely no interest in owning any Apple products,today.

Firstly, while the hardware is nice, it's not that nice, and there are plenty of cheaper PC alternatives. Secondly, I don't find OSX to offer anything more than Windows. Sure, there was a time that OSX was more stable, but that day has passed, as W7/8 is just as stable and offers the all the same functionality.

That said, why would I want to pay an Apple tax just so I can have the glowing Apple on my laptop? Especially since I would cover it up anyway. Lol

I know you don't want us to talk about iTunes, as most people are aware of how bad it is, but this goes to the US vs. Them attitude. Apple is forcing users to use their proprietary software, with their proprietary file formats. I'm sorry, but that behavior should be considered criminal in this day and age. Open source is the way of the future and Apple is only getting in the way at this point.

I don't dislike Apple because it's not Windows or Android, rather because I don't like Apple's current , closed approach to technology. In fact, as a lover of technology, all these things together force me to avoid Apple products altogether.

I've never owned an Apple product. I just don't see any reason to pay a premium in order to be locked into an ecosystem and be at the mercy of a company whose primary concern is its own profit margins. There are more than a few Apple desktop users stuck in the cold because Apple has effectively discontinued the line.

I have two iPod Classics and an iPod Touch gathering dust. I bought the iPod Classics but stopped using them over the years because I no longer needed a dedicated mp3 player. The only reason I have the iPod Touch is that I won it at a golf tournament. I spent about $20 on apps over a couple years but stopped when I decided Android was the direction I should be going. To this day I tend to hate iTunes because it usually takes 10 minutes to start up...15 seconds to load and another 9.75 minutes to run yet another update that seems to always be waiting. With my Apple experiences over the past decade I can see why people like their products...because they dumb them down and make them simple to use. But I want more control and choices and together Windows based PCs and Android phones/tablets give me that...and I certainly don't want to be called an Apple dummy.

Thanks Matt Beacher I was actually thinking of starting this conversation.

For the average consumer you usually have to pick a side because of financial reasons and that choice becomes so much a part of you that you get offended when people question your decision or insult your choice. The fact is I would love to try out every gadget under the sun but I can't. The TWIT crew has access to a ton of hardware, mostly because of Leo and as such have the benefit of playing with the hardware and seeing the merits of each platform. And I do hate the generalisations that I often hear from Apple centric persons, about the quality of apps, the phone experience etc.

I remember on an episode of Twig where Gina Trapani said she loved apple design but her values were much more aligned with Google, and that how I feel. I am not going to be the guy who goes on a rant whenever there is an Android vs Apple story but I will give a chuckle if that rumoured cheaper iphone comes out in the same plastic coating that I was told made my S3 inferior to the iphone 5.

Marlon Thompson I think the SIII has excellent build quality because of its plastic. It feels great in the hand. I have the Nexus 4 and it feels more premium than any iPhone, but part of me wishes it had the plastic.

It actually never bothered me that the AAA crew had Macs. Nor should it bother FLOSS viewers that TWIT is run on Windows. Lol. I'm actually seriously considering switching to Linux - probably Mint - in the near future. I'll run Windows as a second OS if I need to. The only time I really use my computer now is for productivity tasks. My phone does everything else I need.

Honestly I had an S2 and a Gnex and HATED the plastic backs on those phones. And while I am admitting my sins, the N4 while having nice had feel has so much wrong with it, it is embarrassing.

1) The lock screen will freak out when playing music (intermittent)

2) The lock screen won't accepts touch input (intermittent)

3) Bluetooth won't turn on without a hard reboot.

4) Compatibility issues with Qi chargers.

5) Compatibility issues with some NFC apps and tags.

6) Lousy times between recharge

When people ask me Apple or Android, I preface that I'm very biased.  Then, I explain the differences of the platforms/ecosystems.

I explain that Apple does have beautiful products but everything has to fit inside their pretty little box.  If you dare to do anything outside of that box, your only option is to jailbreak.  Aside from the iPhone, almost all other Apple products are at least a $100 more than the competition.  In their favor, though, the vast amount of accessories is great.

And, while Android devices aren't as pretty, they come in all shapes and sizes (including my massive Galaxy Note II).  Now that Jelly Bean allows you to disable system apps, there is almost no reason to root (except for ROMing, which I can't wait for a stable release with working GPS).  As Android is so open which allows you to pretty much do anything out-of-the-box, I am in no rush to ROM it.  I am running Nova Launcher, Google Calendar and Google Voice which pretty much removes almost all TouchWiz from the device.  My only two TouchWiz'd apps I use are Email (which is okay) and Contacts (I miss the People app).  Hopefully, Google will release these into the Play Store, similar to the Calendar app.

I don't think the stuff in this thread is what they mean though. I'm not into Apple because I get in before Apple gets popular for the tech. I didn't want an iPod because I had a great Creative product and found iTunes annoying. People use what works for them. Apple had done a great job off convincing people it's easier and more wonderful than their competitors. That's what businesses do.