My family is traveling full-time in a 1984 Airstream motorhome

G+_Michael Wild

f9217159-c82d-4949-b898-4491cc66b04d-2.j

My family is traveling full-time in a 1984 Airstream motorhome. I frequently find myself on the fringe of being able to get a cellular signal from Verizon or a free WiFi signal. Very often while inside the MoHo I can see connections but can’t connect or if I do connect, the speeds are painfully slow.

I would like to get a cellular and WiFi signal boosters. Any recommendations? Any combo units? It would be nice to have one antenna.

Directional Wi-Fi antennas may improve speed and connecting.

Cellular is a different beast. In many cases, you have no idea where the closest tower is. If you can get a cellular repeater, I'd recommend a collapsible tower to place it atop. (You could become the hero of the campground) just be sure to avoid power lines.

The one antenna idea probably won't work, being that the cell system and Wi-Fi are not the same, in power and frequency.

I bought the weboost Drive 4G-X for $550. It looks like they came down in price to $479. Works great but I had to upgrade the antenna for an additional $20 from amazon which really helped.

weboost.com - weBoost Drive 4G-X Cell Phone Signal Booster | 470510

https://www.weboost.com/products/301103

https://www.amazon.com/Electronics-12-inch-Magnet-Mount-Antenna-Connector/dp/B0002EOFFK

Looks like they have new RV boosters now as well. One is the 4G-X with antennas for an RV. Watch the directional vs Omnidirectional antenna with those. The directional is only for when you are stationary but has better gain. The booster I have has a small antenna the RV inside antenna will cover the larger space better.

https://www.weboost.com/boosters/vehicle-rv

I have been very happy with mine.

As far as increasing the WiFi you need to set up some sort of a repeater and put a better antenna on it like a parabolic dish to collect the signal better. I have no experience with this though.

First off, Nice Rig! It looks like your family are enjoying their adventures, and that's what it's all about. To do so in a classic like that must make it even more of an adventure. I'd trade you, but the wife would still think that's too large for her to drive.

I'm using Ubiquiti; a NanoStation Loco M2 as WiFi client and an AirGateway-LR for my private network. It sure beats going to 8 devices to connect each to the janky-to-mediocre campground WiFi just to have them bounced off the net or have to connect to multiple SSIDs to cover different areas of the campground. WIth my setup, I power up with one plug, login to give it the campground's WiFi info, and away we go. I am using my Nexus 5 on Ting for the same price as Google Fi for data when it isn't available by WiFi, but we minimize that by using mobile webpages at most of the websites we visit.

My previous G+ post had a few decent suggestions from a few here in the community. It's at >>>

plus.google.com - Are there any RVers here? I'm looking to RYO a WiFi solution to improve the c...

I don't worry about cellular much, as we tend to only be without it in-between destinations. I'm sure that will change later when we head out west. I've seen the devices from Winegard and others, but I'm not anywhere near interested unless the price becomes at least reasonable. I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to make a profit on their gear, but at those prices they're asking too much.

Happy Trails...