Looking for some input I 've been searching everywhere and reading

G+_James Hughes

Looking for some input. I've been searching everywhere and reading.

Here's what I'm trying to do (but I don't think it's possible). I built an enclosure that holds an iPad pro and has 4- 1 watt LEDs powered by a single 18650 battery being managed by a tp4650 surrounding it. I want to be able to charge both from a single connection. I'm currently using a magnetic connector but it's micro USB.

Problem is not enough power to charge the ipad (at a rate that won't take days). And I don't want to blow out the tp4650 in the process. There are also space constraints. I need to find something similar in size to the tp4650 that will manage the 18650 and still charge the ipad. I'm thinking about separating the from the iPad and charge them separately but would really like to have only one connection.

Thanks in advance.

For anyone looking to help, I believe it is a TP4056 that James Hughes is talking about (not a 4650).

I haven't looked into how it works, so this is an unfounded question. On the output side I see there are 2 outputs. Is the amperage of one regulated and the other unregulated? If that is true, then full amperage (or, what is left over) may be available on the other set of outputs.

You wire your iPad and your TP4056 battery charger in Parallel. That way each device only draws (receives) the current that it needs.

You would only "blow out" the TP4056 if you tried to wire it in Series with the iPad, at which time the current trying to reach the iPad would have to go through the TP.

Just connect them in parallel to a power source that has sufficient amperage output to run both devices.

One way to do this would be to wire the iPad to the + and - connections that are near the USB connector. These are wired directly to the USB connector and don't travel through the board like the ones on the other end marked OUT + and OUT -

We can't tell from the photo whether the traces that run from the USB connector to the adjacent + and - points are sufficient to handle the current that the iPad would draw, but you might be able to guess by looking. Worst that could happen would be you would burn out one of those traces, but even then the rest of the board will (should) continue to work.

Otherwise, just wire the iPad and TP in parallel before the board.

James Hughes I don't know what your iPad cable looks like, but I'm sure you can find a spare micro USB connector around somewhere, maybe on a wall wart charging device you no longer need?

I would carefully slice open the iPad charging cable, use a multimeter to determine which wire is 5 v and which is GND, (or Google for it) then splice the USB micro connector to it. You only need those two connections.