Created some executables using py2exe they worked fine in fact tested them on Windows 7, 8 and XP

G+_Rud Dog

Created some executables using py2exe they worked fine in fact tested them on Windows 7, 8 and XP. OK XP reported the wrong space but it ran to the end. 

Now couple days later some executables don't work. Now I keep the editor copies in a safe place. So recreated the failing script to executables and they still fail. Interesting enough the editor copies or originals work fine when run in the editor environment.

Guessing there is no way to debug the exe's so does anyone have any suggestions?

BTW these are just short hobby scripts I wrote nothing elaborate. 

Running in Windows using Pyrhon3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Jon Melbo trying to remember back, while visiting their website isn't there a host of requirements for pyinnstalled installation? Did you find an EZ install and use? Want to revisit the pyinstaller but was put off by what I read while getting ready to install it. My brain was pretty much fried by the time was ready to try this so that could be the problem. Would like to hear all about the install and operation if you don't mind.

Are you casual user or advanced this might have bearing on your ease of use and install recommendations.

Oh and are the output form pyinstaller multiplatform? 

Hello Rudy.  Believe me, I'm really pretty green with Python.  I have been reading and poking around  in it for a while now.  Where I am at with it is that I can make a simple Hello World program, and have read enough to try something a bit more useful.  I have decided that Qt4 (perhaps 5 sometime) is the way to do GUI in Python.  But before I really invest a lot of effort, I want to see how making stand alone .exe goes.  So I am just starting to fiddle with pyinstaller.

Oh I forgot.... from the PyInstaller web site:

"PyInstaller runs in Windows XP or newer. It can create graphical windowed apps (apps that do not need a command window).

PyInstaller requires the PyWin32 or pypiwin32 Python extension for Windows. If you install PyInstaller using pip, and PyWin32 is not found, pypiwin32 is automatically installed."

Just finished doing a quick search for what PyWin32 and Pypiwin32 are/do, a kind of "For Dummies" and got a headache. Have you stumbled into any newbie level explanations as to what these two do?

Oh and running Windows 8 with Python 3.4 my initial search showed some folks having problems getting them to work didn't drill down but was wondering what  your OS and Python versions are.

I got PyInstaller working!  Wasn't too bad really.  I have information on what I think is the best and easiest way to set this all up.  Since making a writeup that covers it under varying circumstances is more work than I want to do right now, I would prefer to converse about it.  It would be quicker and easier for me.  But it's a good setup with good flexability.  I tried to contact you via hangouts but it sent an invite to you.