The show 's new direction:

G+_Lee Crocker

The show's new direction:

I like the idea of project-oriented modules. Let our viewers actually build something along with the original author and see why certain decisions were made, and how certain tools are used. That allows us to have discussions about theory that aren't just boring discussions about theory, but have an immediate practical example at hand in a real-world setting.

I don't like the idea of interviews. Every other podcast does that. Leave them to FLOSS, and triangulation, and others. Personalities are interesting, but not very educational. We should sick to small, simple projects on a scale that beginning programmers have a chance of understanding, rather than talking to industry elites and gurus who are many levels beyond our listeners.

Better to simply scan GitHub for small one-person limited-scope projects, and have the author explain the hows and whys of his code and how our listeners might use it and adapt it for themselves.

Let me use one of my own projects as an example of what I have in mind: my OneJoker library is a relatively small library in C that can be called from C, C++, Java, and Python. It brings up some obvious questions: What's a library and how are they used? Why are cards represented as simple integers rather than objects with rank and suit? How does the big lookup table make the poker evaluator so fast, and how is it created? Maybe the show project could be even smaller: not the library itself, but adding another language, or recoding it in Go, or stealing a small part of it for another use.

If a small-project author doesn't make a good presenter, then have a more podogenic guru present the package--but a real EXPERT, not a talking head, or a good programmer in some other language or platform, but someone who genuinely understands the project being shown.