HI all, I 'm a new teacher who has been assigned a computers course for grades 10-12 (in Alberta...

G+_Billy Poon

HI all, I'm a new teacher who has been assigned a computers course for grades 10-12 (in Alberta, Canada). The students get a chance to build their own course by choose particular modules that appeal to them. 

I want to offer at least 1 module in coding at a beginner, intermediate, and advanced level to these high school students. 

Are there any reliable resources (teaching or learning guides) for students in this age group to learn coding?

I am also looking for similar resources around other topics in computing, including but not limited to:  networking, security, graphic designing, photography, animation, robotics, social media, web apps. Basically anything that falls under the umbrella of computing. 

I am currently looking at group memberships to Lynda, but am waiting to see if it will be a good fit. Any other suggestions? 

Billy:

I have learned a lot about computers from listening to security now.  I don't have a comprehensive list the best episodes for instruction but here are a few good ones.  Usually there is a bit of banter/news in the beginning (early on it was around 30 minutes, now around an hour). If you want to use for instruction you may want to listen through a couple and see where the meat of the episode is located timewise.  There are transcripts as well on grc website.

Matt

2006 Episodes:

How the Internet Works---- Episodes 25,26

Cryptography --- Episodes 30,31,33,34,35,37

https://www.grc.com/sn/past/2006.htm

2010 Episodes:

Programming History-Fundamentals- Episodes 233,235,237,239,241,247

https://www.grc.com/sn/past/2010.htm

My high school did something similar for their coding programs (Levels 1,2 and 3... and then they added a 4th for a few of us who really enjoyed it, bascially we created a large program that whole half year). Now this was 12 years ago (wow I'm getting old), but Level 1 was Visual Basic, Levels 2 and 3 were C++ then 4 was whatever we wanted (I used C++ and made a Battleship clone... a DOS version - it was horrid, but it worked). 

I'd say definitely pick a solid Object Oriented language, like C, C++ for the higher classes. Regardless if they will ever use it again or not, I think going with one of these languages vs. one like PHP or Python really helped me in the long run. Tough for a 2nd or 3rd year programmer to learn, but worth the trouble! 

Have a look at Udacity and Coursera - they have some awesome programming classes (Udacity's Intro to Computer Science walks you through building a search engine). Even if you don't use it to teach the class, maybe they'll spark some ideas. Their mobile apps are great - I've been taking classes with my phone while I'm waiting in airports or can't sleep, but I'm too lazy to get out of bed :) 

• 2 weeks later...