I 've been a lurker of TWiT and various coding discussion boards for a while

G+_Josh Hendricks

I've been a lurker of TWiT and various coding discussion boards for a while. I enjoy coding as a hobby and especially when I can solve problems in my day job as a technical support manager. I'm thinking about opening up a small project of mine to the open source community.

I've been writing a tool which can detect common generic system problems (disk errors, hostnames that are too long, etc) as well as software-specific problems like known configuration errors. It's meant as a software agnostic tool that could be used by Helpdesk staff to very quickly scan for all known problems at once. It works similar to the way antivirus software works. It loads "definitions" of problems at runtime, checks for updates, and then calls each of the applicable definitions which execute their tests and return a status.

At the end, the UI shows the tests that failed, with some details/instructions on the detected issues and how to fix them.

The project is already capable of all the above, and I plan to add code collection and uploading capability as well. But it seems to me this would be a really handy tool for code-savvy IT guys and anyone else in a Helpdesk/tech support role. The framework for it can (and should) be software agnostic. I'm wondering if anyone else would be interested in contributing to a tool like this if I opened up the repo on github?