I was looking around for a way to develop a UI for a Perl application and discovered an IDE for P...

G+_Irene Smith

I was looking around for a way to develop a UI for a Perl application and discovered an IDE for Perl called, Padre (really!) It doesn't directly help with my UI development question, but it is interesting. The down side is that it uses 32-bit Strawberry Perl, the upside is that the IDE includes a Regex editor. Just thought I'd share.

Almost forgot to say how to get Padre. This link doesn't go directly to the download page for the Padre IDE, but there are lots of useful links on this page including links to freely available books on Perl:

http://perl-begin.org/uses/GUI/

And here is the direct link to Padre:

http://padre.perlide.org/

I think Padre has plugins for other Perl distros such as ActiveState Perl.

As far as doing UI work for Perl,  well, good luck. I think there are some packages that can do this. Perl for android can do it though the Android Scripting Layer. I find that UI work (for Windows/Mac.iOS, and Android) is best done using either Delphi or C++Builder (or Lazarus/Free Pascal), and then you can interface with Perl using either "exec and wait" code, or, if using ActiveState Perl under Windows, you can make com interfaces to perl, or, you can go the other direction, and call exported functions via the Win32 Perl Package (I have done that on occasion, but mostly the other way around).

Its hard to beat Delphi/C++ Builder for RAD work (Rapid Application Development). Its easy to do, and it's fast at getting spectacular results. I am a big fan, going back many years, and also was a former member of the Team. Lazarus is a cool (and free) "close knockoff", but has a lot of issues. I use it too, and it's IDE runs under many (many) platforms... (did I say many?). I write code for Delphi, move it to Lazarus, then compile it all over the place (even on Raspberry Pi's and Beagle Bones).

You just can't beat RAD development for fast and easy UI work. Take a look at either. Know that the Delphi install is quite large these days, and I think it is also a bit pricey for commercial development. Lazarus is a good bet as well (and free, and very well supported with large community following).

Gosh, I haven't done Delphi in years. I used Delphi when it was first released, but I haven't updated it in at least 15 years. My first article assignment was for Turbo TECHNIX Magazine. Unfortunately, the magazine folded before it was published, but I got paid for it anyway!

I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm only looking to do UI in Perl for the sake of it, not because I need to. Most of the development work I've done in the last two years was either C#, Java, or Python. I dabble in VB .NET occasionally more so I don't forget it than anything else. I've been playing around with WPF, and creating apps for Windows 8.1 and hope to create updates of the games I published back in 1994 to run on Windows 8.1.